The Many Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants can actually be traced all the way back to 600 AD, and today’s implants are stronger and more durable than ever before. They provide the best solution to missing teeth and a permanent way to create a natural, healthy smile that will allow you to enjoy your favorite activities. Learn more about dental implants and why they are considered just as strong and functional as your natural teeth.
What are dental implants?
Essentially, dental implants provide a prosthetic root that allows your dentist to attach a new artificial tooth, known as a crown. A small titanium post that resembles a screw is inserted into the jawbone. Then, a connector, also called an abutment, is added. This piece actually supports the crown, which is made from porcelain, and will be custom-designed to match the shape and color of your other teeth for a natural-looking smile.
Why do people need implants?
Tooth loss can occur for a variety of different reasons. Some people experience severe gum disease or decay that can’t be addressed through a filling or root canal. Others experience some sort of injury that damages one or more teeth beyond repair. While there is always the option of simply leaving a gap in your smile, this can lead to further problems. Adjacent teeth have a tendency to shift and move into the gap, which will affect the overall integrity of your mouth. The surrounding gums around the missing tooth can also begin to shrink away or feel sore, especially during chewing.
The best way to restore your smile and prevent additional issues once you have lost a tooth is to get implants.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
Dental implants are a common solution to oral health issues, and they provide a whole host of benefits to patients.
- Improved confidence: If you have been covering your mouth or avoiding smiling because you have a missing tooth, dental implants will restore your smile, so you don’t have to feel self-conscious around other people.
- Better speech: Our teeth play an important role in forming words and communicating. A missing tooth can negatively affect your speech.
- Easier to eat: A gap can lead to a permanent sore spot in your mouth, which will make eating painful and uncomfortable. Even if you try to address this issue with dentures, you won’t experience the same tight fit and performance that implants offer.
- Better oral health: Treating missing teeth with bridges requires grinding down the surrounding teeth in order to achieve the best fit possible. With implants, none of your other teeth are impacted, and your oral health will be restored.
- Durable: Today’s implants are incredibly durable, so you won’t have to worry about undergoing constant replacement procedures. In addition, because implants are constructed using artificial materials, they aren’t subject to the same decay as normal teeth, which helps them last longer. When you work with your dentist to protect your implants, you can avoid having to get new implants down the road.
What can I expect during and after the procedure?
Your dental implant procedure will begin with a thorough examination. This will ensure that you are a good candidate and will allow your dentist to take the necessary images of your teeth. Depending on your dentist and how many implants you will be receiving, a variety of sedation techniques, including local anesthesia and/or an IV, will be used to eliminate pain and keep you comfortable.
After the procedure, you may experience some pain, bruising, and swelling. However, these symptoms should be mild, and most people are able to return to work and normal activities within a day.
Why Dental Implants Are so Strong and Durable
In the months following your procedure, your implant will begin to heal and fuse with your jawbone through a process known as osseointegration. During this period, new bone growth will be stimulated, causing the bone to adhere directly to the implant, creating an incredibly strong bond. It is this process that helps make implants just as strong as natural teeth.
Osseointegration and the healing process may take a few months. Once your mouth has completely healed, you will be ready to have the abutment installed. Finally, after a little more healing, you will be ready to visit the dentist to have impressions made. These will be used to design your custom teeth, so you have a consistent smile.
While each patient is different, the entire process can take a few months. Although implants don’t provide an immediate fix, they are a lasting solution that will support your overall oral health. This alone makes it worth the wait.
How long do dental implants last?
Dental implants are typically constructed using titanium and porcelain, two of the strongest materials available. That means that implants are made to last. If you take good care of your teeth, your implants can last up to 25 years. To help preserve your implants, follow these simple steps
- Practice good dental hygiene. Brush and floss twice a day and regularly visit your dentist for cleanings and checkups.
- Watch your diet. Cut down on sugar and other foods that encourage bacteria growth and decay.
- Protect your teeth. If you have a habit of chewing your fingernails, biting down on pencils and pens, grinding your teeth, or otherwise being hard on them, it is time to address these bad habits.
Get started today!
Dental implants are one of the most advanced and effective dental procedures available today. You can enjoy a beautiful, natural smile, along with strong and durable teeth. You can also eat your favorite foods, speak more clearly, and stop being self-conscious about your teeth. If you are ready to take back control of your oral health, call the team at Wohlers Family Dentistry. We can walk you through the entire dental implant process, put your mind at ease, and provide you with the latest in safe, effective, and pain-free dental solutions.